Tuesday 17 December 2013

Christmas Cup Cake Recipe


Hello Everyone,

As I mentioned in my last blog I would be adding this little gem! And an added bonus for http://theicingonourcake.blogspot.co.uk/

Did you miss Stir Up Sunday on the 24th November? Want to buy a Christmas Cake but don't want the whole thing? Running out of Christmas present ideas? Well here is your answer. I came across this recipe 2 years ago and have tweaked it to what I prefer. So here we go tell me what you think! And if you make enjoy!

This recipe makes 24 Cup Cakes.

My Goodies for baking.

Ingredients
  • 200g    Dark Muscovado Sugar,
  • 175g    Butter (Chopped),
  • 3          Large Eggs (Beaten in a cup),
  • 200g    Plain Flour (Seived),
  • 1/2tsp  Baking Powder,
  • 1tsp     All Spice,
  • 1tsp     Ground Cinnamon,
  • 2tsp     Ginger (Freshly Grated),
  • 2tsp     Almond Extract, or Brandy (what ever alcohol you like)
  • 1          Large Orange Zest and Juice,
  • 750g   Mixed Dried Fruit and Cherries, (I use 150g of Cherries)
You will need
  • Scales,
  • Spoons, a tablespoon and teaspoon,
  • Measuring Spoons,
  • Grater,
  • Sieve,
  • Fork (if you don't have a lemon/orange juicer),
  • Sharp Knife (to chop the cherries/cut orange in half),
  • Heavy Base Pan,
  • Wooden Spoon,
  • Mixing Bowls,
  • 2x Cup Cake Pans,
  • Mug
  • and an Oven, which is the most important.
Preheat the oven at 150C or Gas Mark 3

As I know have a fan assisted oven, I will make these on the convection option (it's all new to me electric ovens) so I have put the oven on a lower temperature unlike what I cook on Gas!






First thing, is if your anything like me (or just moved into a new house) wash all your equipment, I would love the idea that I bake all the time and don't allow dust to settle on my mixing bowls but the reality is, it does. So before I bake anything I give objects that aren't used every day a good wash.

I found these wonderful cup cake cases from poundland, you heard me £1 a pack, no need for the expense of Lakeland, which I have paid out £4 for 50 before (I wish now I brought more).

Method



1:- Put your Sugar, Butter, Fruit, Ginger, Orange Zest and Juice into a large pan.

2:-Turn the heat on and slowly bring to a boil (picture on the left), stirring frequently to melt the butter.

3:-Reduce the heat and bubble gently for 10 minutes. Set to one side to cool before adding the Almond Extract, (as I'm making mine for all ages I usually don't add alcohol, but if you want to this is the stage to do it, so replace the Almond Extract, usually Brandy with Christmas Cakes).

4:- Stir in the Eggs into the Fruit, if the mixture is to hot you will scramble, I usually after 5 minutes move the mixture into a heat proof bowl to help cool it.

6:- Sift in the Flour, Baking Powder and Spices into the Fruit. Stir everything together (picture on the right).


7:- Scoop into cases and flatten tops with a hot spoon, I boil the kettle and pour boiling hot water in a mug. I then place the teaspoon in the mug to heat it.




8:- Bake for 35-45 minutes until golden and firm. Cool on a wire rack and if you have invested in one like myself then a chopping block I guess works.



Decoration

Ingredients
  • Ready to Roll Marzipan,
  • Ready to Roll White Icing,
  • Icing Sugar,
  • and Orange Marmalade 
You will need
  • Rolling Pin,
  • Brush,
  • Sieve,
  • Knife,
  • Cutter,
  • and a Pan.


Method


9:-To make life easier for myself, I got out my cookie cutters and found one that sat perfect on the cakes. And yet again wash it before properly using (pre-washed before the photo!)



10:- Follow what the packet says, which basically states, knead  before use, sprinkle counter with Icing Sugar and roll and cut.

11:- To make them stick I have used Orange Marmalade, this is where you can add more alcohol if you want but as stated I'm making it non-alcoholic. Place the Marmalade into the pan and warm slightly, using the brush, brush a small amount on the cake, enough the cover the surface but only a thin layer. The Marmalade is there as a glue not a part of it. Place the Marzipan on the cake and use your fingers to cover, don't worry if it looks perfect, this will be hidden.





12:- Follow the same idea for the White Icing. But with this try to make it perfect, but if it doesn't don't worry as you can see I have lumps where the cakes aren't flat, but there unique and homemade! This is what makes it different.

I was originally going to use chocolate stars, but after a small miss calculation I have only 24 of them and 48 cakes! So I think I will be pulling out my Cocoa Powder and attempt to dust on the cakes......Not sure yet to be honest.

To pack these I have brought 10x boxes from Ebay designed for 12 cupcakes, I choice a basic brown as they can use them again if they want as mine are presents, but for what it is don't spend a fortune, I just brought some ribbon from Poundland to and I have some labels, all you need.

So there it is, I hope you


Merry Christmas
xxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment