Friday 13 December 2013

Were Home Owners


Well Hello Everyone,

I finally have the internet and can at last blog! Well we have finally moved into the house and to be honest in some ways it was a nightmare! When we last saw the house in August it was all so beautiful and shinny but when the previous owners left, Oh my gosh! Where to begin?! I will admit I cried, not going to lie, I felt so disappointed it was not what I expected! So as I am a fan of lists I will give you my list of -- things I have discovered when moving into a new home..


1:- Don't Be Under The Illusion! I lived in a world where I thought the the previous occupant will have kept/left the house in a good state. Yes the couple did attempt  to tidy but a lot of things were filthy and the house had a funny smell (still does, I can't get rid of it)! Also people really do hide their imperfections.

2:- Don't Trust Any One. Our house is in a perfect state, yeah right! Our house needs a complete re-wire and yes the carpets might be new but doesn't mean they fit the room!

3:- Beware Of The DIY Man! Well more like I think I can DIY! The previous owner had good intentions but lacked the skills and conviction, which meant pretty much everything is on the cheap! The highlights are.....Our kitchen is not straight its on a strange angle, 2x homemade fire places (both electric, which were scared to turn on!), faulty electrics, tiles not straight and pretty much look like they could fall off. The best has to be random wire EVERYWHERE! Not a clue what some of them belong to!

4:- Are You Really Prepared? Be prepared for the strange and unexpected! We have discovered nearly everything has been No More Nailed (our house could be the endorsement), green paint in every room and it is a nightmare to cover over! The most shocking thing we discovered there are Stanley knife blades randomly everywhere.

5:- Check The Roof In Future! Did you know its cost £200 to have a tv airel! 

6:- Internet! When you find out your key exchange date ring your future internet provider, to arrange a connection day, as it takes over a month. 

7:- You Can't Do Anything Without Internet or Land Line! Oh my days, you can't not do anything easily without the internet or a land line! Try buying your TV License on your phone or doing your meter readings! You will require the patients of a few saints! But alas here is the the 2 worst phone apps out there at number 1:- Amazon! Number 2:- HSBC!

8:- Furniture! After 4 years we pretty much have all the furniture and other things we need to make a house a home, it was worth the wait. Plus we have known so many generous people! 

The Kitchen Chaos! Not fun to walk into after a full day at work!
Living Room starting to look normal!
9:- Arguments:- We've been in the house for 2 weeks and what haven't we argued about! Everything and anything, especially Where is this? Where did you put that? Why did you out it there? Also I developed a coping strategy when moving in, let people put things where they want and move later!

10:- Pay For Extra Help! We used the company Countrywide and as first time buyer were glad! They did all the chasing around, arranged our mortgage, answered every question and pointed us in the right direction. We couldn't have done it without Laura! She was our rock during it all!

But my ultimate tip would be get a good team behind you! Our best man, helped to paint/move furniture, my mum cleaned years worth of dirt and my dad is pretty much rewiring and sorting out our windows! You need people behind you for physical and emotional support, but because of all this our house is a home in time for Christmas!

I will be blogging again next week in a festive manor! Last minute Christmas present maybe!

See you soon

xxx



No comments:

Post a Comment